Re: emacsclient and Mac OS's clipboard

From: Aaron Meurer
Subject: Re: emacsclient and Mac OS's clipboard
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:37:35 -0600

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM,  <michaelsbradleyjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running the latest pretest from the "Emacs For Mac OS X" website
> (Emacs-pretest-24.0.95-universal-10.6.8.dmg) on Mac OS version 10.7.
>
> If I launch Emacs in a standalone fashion (i.e. double-click on Emacs.app),
> the editor's kill ring and the OS's clipboard "communicate" with each other
> such that I can copy/paste back and forth between Emacs and other
> applications.
>
> However, if I launch Emacs in --daemon mode and then fire up `emacsclient
> -c`, I find that the client's kill ring does not "communicate" with the OS's
> clipboard, and it's seemingly impossible to copy/paste between Emacs and
> other applications. A workaround is to use some intermediate text file, which
> I have open in say Emacs and TextEdit, but obviously that's not a great
> solution.

This doesn't really solve the problem, but it is possible to avoid
using intermediate files by using the pbpaste and pbcopy command line
tools and Emacs's build-in command line functions.  For example, if
you type M-| pbcopy, it will move the selected text in emacs to the
Mac OS X clipboard. C-u 1 M-! pbpaste will paste.

Aaron Meurer