A good use for scratch buffer (was: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch B

From: Tami
Subject: A good use for scratch buffer (was: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:14:24 -0500

While reading this thread, I was interrupted by the doorbell.  After I got rid
of the solicitor, I found one of the cats playing with the keyboard.  She made
a small mess on the screen, but no damage to my files or keyboard.  My cats
won't use their scratching post but they will use the scratch buffer.

If you really despise "scratch", just call up a new filename and get an empty
named file that you can do what you want in and save or not, as you please.

For every feature you don't use, there are many of us who can't live without
it.

I have been using emacs for 22 years and there are features I never use and
know nothing about.  Many of them are discussed on this list.  For every
"useless" feature you don't use, there are thousands who can't live without it.
Some day you might need it, too.

"Scratch" has always been the file you can't get rid of that keeps you from
inadvertantly falling out of emacs and losing all your unsaved buffers.

And it amuses the cats. :)

.Tami
 .signature: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected