Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics

From: Johnny
Subject: Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 19:12:31 +0100

> On Mon, May 21 2012, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> I am (again) attempting to convert to using EMMS as a front end for
>>> mpd instead of using ncmpcp, but am struggling to get a good setup and
>>> efficient usage, and hence wonder how emacs users play their
>>> music files?
>>
>> BTW, there are 2 more front ends in Emacs: mpc.el (bundled with Emacs
>> since Emacs-23 or so) and ampc.el (available in GNU ELPA).
>>
>> I'm the author of mpc.el and from the points you mention, I'd guess
>> mpc.el won't suit you (it doesn't even attempt to give you any kind of
>> tag-writing ability, it rather focuses on providing a browser to find
>> the music you want to play).
>
> Also Mingus! But, likewise, not particularly good for either of the OP's
> needs. No lyrics support, and tag editing that depends on an external
> library that I wasn't able to compile on my machine.
>
> But, for completeness' sakeā€¦

Thanks for the completions, I may look into these at some point. I am a
bit puzzled by the lack of documentation for emms and have not yet
realised whether it is the best way to go in emacs for playing music
(/media). I have managed to get a decent set up but not entirely
content. I got the tag editor working by customising the
'emms-tag-editor-tagfile-functions' [1]to use 'id3tag' instead of the
(seemingly obsolete? from 2006) 'mp3info'. This is maybe the main place
where emacs shines, in addition to searching and adding to the
playlist.

Lyrics seem possible, but quite complex to set up for fetching from the
net, so I will be satisfied with usimg emms and ncmpcpp in parallell
(and ario for a graphical front end for visitors who don't like the
cli) to interface mpd.

Any further opinions on setting up mpd through emacs will be
appreciated!

Cheers!

Footnotes:
[1]  The customisation I added in init.el is:
     ,----
     `----
--
Johnny