Re: Umlauts on Mac in 24 pretest

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Umlauts on Mac in 24 pretest
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:43:04 -0400

> I am using Emacs pretest 24.0.97 on a Mac with Lion 10.7.4.
> Some of my documents are in German, so I need to enter umlauts and sharp s.
> I have not your found an easy solution without giving up to many other
> keyboard macros.

There are *many* ways to enter non-ASCII characters, so you'll have to
give us more details as to what you consider "easy".

Some of the ways to do that are specific to Emacs (e.g. C-u C-\
latin-1-postfix), while others depend on the keyboard layout you use,
the ways you normally enter those non-ASCII chars, and the way modifiers
are mapped in Emacs.

Personally under X11, I like to use the "compose" key (aka "Multi_key"),
so I can hit "compose ' e" to get a "é" and "compose . ." to get a "…".

        Stefan