Reading OS Version and decide what to do?

From: Daniel (Youngwhan)
Subject: Reading OS Version and decide what to do?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:25:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have no knowledge about Emacs LISP, but is there any way to get what
os version is being used?

For example, on linux and bash and external utility like cut, I can
get the os version by "uname -r" and get what I want by using cut
utility.

Is there a way to simulate like that in Emacs LISP? like launching
external process like "cut" or "uname -r" and get a string and if the
string matches what I want, do something and otherwise, do others?

Daniel