those funny non-ASCII characters

From: Buchs, Kevin
Subject: those funny non-ASCII characters
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 18:49:29 -0500

I often paste content from web pages into an emacs org-mode buffer and I
get the odd quote characters or dashes that are not ASCII. I created a
lisp function to remove the unicode ones that are just 8 bits. Lately I
am seeing that there are characters that are not being caught. They show
up in emacs as the expected character. When I kill/yank them into lisp
code, they are not being found. When I save the buffer, I am asked for
coding and chose raw text. When the file is opened again, these
characters are showing up as some sort of special symbol (dashed circle
with flag off the top) followed by doubles/triples of \2xx. For example,
the dash character I just stored was this sequence: circle-flag \200
\231. Using Gnu/Linux od to dump them I get hex strings such as: 340 245
206 340 244 206 210 200 and for the dash mentioned above 342 200 231.

I am very naive in regard to coding, so please excuse my ignorance. I
would guess these are 16-bit (Unicode16) characters. Can someone
enlighten me as to how I can determine what these characters are (after
pasted into a buffer) and how I can code a function to replace them with
ASCII equivalents? The only thing I could think of was hexl mode, but
that didn't turn out well. Thanks.

Kevin Buchs | Senior Engineer | SPPDG | 507-538-5459 |
buchs.kevin@mayo.edu
Mayo Clinic | 200 First Street SW | Rochester, MN 55905 |
http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg