Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 15:39:43 +0200

Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Matt,

> python.el has some other TRAMP-compatibility problems. I started to
> hack on them and keep notes here:
>
> https://github.com/matthewlmcclure/tramp-virtualenv
>
> I'd be curious to get some feedback from Emacs committers to find out
> if this is on a track that could be merged upstream, or if I should
> take a different approach.

My first comments:

| 1. python.el - a replacement for the python.el distributed with Emacs
| 24 that makes its python-send-region TRAMP-aware.

Well, that code is based on a recommendation I gave last year in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.tramp/7819>.

As I have said there, this won't be the final solution. And your change
(the call of a modified Tramp function) won't be accepted by the Emacs
maintainers. I believe it would be sufficient to apply `make-temp-file'
properly. I have committed a modified version of my initial proposal to
Emacs' trunk (plus a fix in Tramp, which did appear during my tests).

| 6. tramp-dir-locals.el - a hack to make directory local variables work
| in directories opened via TRAMP.

A harsh hack :-) The problem is already reported as bug#1933 and
bug#6731 in the Emacs bugtracker. I took the opportunity to apply the
proposed patch of bug#1933 to Emacs' trunk, slightly modified. If you
set in your .emacs

  (setq enable-local-variables t)

remote .dir-locals files shall be evaluated, and your hack isn't
necessary anymore.

Could you, please, check whether these patches work for you? We will
investigate your other settings afterwards.

Best regards, Michael.