Re: Eshell: Running GNU Make (Cygwin) on Windows 7

From: rusi
Subject: Re: Eshell: Running GNU Make (Cygwin) on Windows 7
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 19:51:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 8, 5:10 am, William Crandall <bc3141...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a "best" way to run Cygwin's GNU Make from Eshell
> on Windows 7?
>
> GNU Make 3.82.90 (Built for i686-pc-cygwin) runs fine in the
> Cygwin shell, called from Cygwin's directory: /usr/bin/make
>
> How would you call it from Eshell?
>
> Thanks for any pointers!
>
> -BC
>
> Emacs: 24.1.50.1
> Windows 7

These kind of questions bugged me (when I last used cygwin) and there
must be a more cygwin-ish way of handling paths.
1. The proper way is probably to use
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/cygwin-mount.el
   I remember trying it and not getting it to work -- but I did not
try very hard
2. An improper way recommended by Steve Yegge is to install cygwin not
in c:/cygwin but in C: then everything "just works".  This of course
flies in the face of strong strictures from cygwin
3. Maybe you can just set the eshell-path-env and it works as you
want?
4. Getting compile to work is better as Dan suggests. Maybe you can
adjust compile-command?