Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:49:43 +0200

Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Matt,

> I applied the patch from
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/trunk/revision/108526 to
> http://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-2012-06-08-108519-universal-10.6.8.dmg
> and I still get:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds
> max-specpdl-size")

Doesn't happen any longer to me, with that patch.

>   tramp-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "py"
> "/scpc:vagrant@192.168.33.10:/tmp")
>   expand-file-name("py" "/scpc:vagrant@192.168.33.10:/tmp")
>   byte-code("\305\306G!\203
> \"!\203
> [prefix temporary-file-directory file suffix dir-flag make-temp-name
> zerop file-name-as-directory expand-file-name make-directory
> write-region "" nil silent excl] 8)
>   make-temp-file("py" nil ".py")
>   python-send-region(1 708)
>   python-send-buffer()
>   call-interactively(python-send-buffer nil nil)
>
> I don't see tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory in the call stack.

Yes. Tramp prints some additional traces in tramp-file-name-handler in
case of an error, which shortens the backtrace, unfortunately. I have
fixed this in Tramp 2.2.5, which I will sync with the trunk when Emacs
24.1 is out.

> I wonder, does Tramp need a tramp-handle-make-temp-file?

Nope. It was sufficient, to patch tramp-compat-temporary-file-directory.

> I'll try again tomorrow with the forthcoming 6/9 build in case I
> missed something important when I applied your patch ad hoc.

Yes, please do. I have tested today with

| detlef:~/src/emacs> bzr log | head -8
| revno: 108542
| committer: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
| branch nick: trunk
| timestamp: Sat 2012-06-09 14:53:31 +0300
| message:
|   Fix parallel bootstrap build in lisp/ on MS-Windows.

Best regards, Michael.