Re: When are the face text properties actually set?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When are the face text properties actually set?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:16:38 -0400

> I did not know jit-mode.  Is it recent?

It was brand new in Emacs-21.

> Does it replace lazy-lock?

Yup, that one was marked obsolete in Emacs-22.

> Can you tell me why jit-lock-mode does not appear in the list of minor
> modes?

Because, even though it started as a minor-mode (like lazy-lock), it's
not a minor mode any more.  It's a library that can optionally be used
by font-lock and by other packages (nlinum.el, nhexl.el, and
glasses-mode).

> I took a look at syntax-ppss and parse-partial-sexp documentation.
> It says it parses *Lisp* syntax.
> Is it a bug in the documentation?

Yes and no: it doesn't know how to parse languages with a syntax more
complex than Lisp's, but it does know how to parse most language's
comments, parentheses, and strings.

        Stefan