Re: debugging bash script in emacs using bashdb

From: rocky
Subject: Re: debugging bash script in emacs using bashdb
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 14:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:41:42 AM UTC-4, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 30.06.2011 01:22, schrieb fiftyeight:
> >
> > Hi, I'm new to emacs and I'm trying to debug bash script with it.
> > I've downloaded the bashdb package and it works for me
> > when I use it from the terminal.
> >
> > But I read in the bashdb website that you can use it with emacs,
> > they have a link there to a project called emacs-dbgr,
> > but after downloading and installing the emacs-dbgr
> > I enter emacs and do M-x load-libarary dbgr like the installation
> > instructions
> > say but I just tells me "cannot open load file".
> >
> > Can anybody tell me how I debug bash scripts using emacs?
> > either with the emacs-dbgr library or anything else
>
> Hi,
>
> when using the command line debugger from the emacs shell -- `M-x shell'
> -- you will already have a great advantage, as the output is within the
> editor.

One of the cool things about emacs-dbgr is that yes you can start off in a
shell and then later go into a minor mode which tracks your position from
debugger output. This is set up via M-x dbgr-track-mode. And as with other
modes one can turn that on or off or switch the kinds of debuggers one is
working with.

That said, for those that want more context shown inside the shell (whether in
emacs or not) bashdb and a number of other debuggers have the command "set
autolist on".