Re: autosave/backup file problem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: autosave/backup file problem
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 09:41:15 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:09:59 +0200
> From: Jannis <bt_jannis@yahoo.de>
>
> i have the problem that emacs creates
>
> .#filename.txt
>
> files in the directory file while working on a file. These files create
> problems when I want to automatically create Software packages of the
> parent folder.
>
> Is there any way to tell emacs to create these files in a different
> location?
>

> I have put the following in my .emacs file but it seems to not change
> the behaviour of the above mentioned files:
>

> ;; Put autosave files (ie #foo#) and backup files (ie foo~) in ~/.emacs.d/.
> (custom-set-variables
>    '(auto-save-file-name-transforms '((".*" "~/.emacs.d/autosaves/\\1" t)))
>    '(backup-directory-alist '((".*" . "~/.emacs.d/backups/"))))

These are not backup or auto-save files.  These are lockfiles.  They
indicate that filename.txt is being edited by an Emacs session, so
that when another Emacs session (perhaps by another user) will visit
the same file, Emacs will warn that other user about the situation.

I don't understand what kind of problems these files could create (and
you didn't explain that).  But if you need to turn off creation of
lockfiles, set the variable create-lockfiles to a nil value.