Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:05:07 +0200

On 06/18/2012 04:32 AM, S Boucher wrote:
> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.
>
> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.  Most places I work, I'm in
> the minority - and that's an understatement - as an Emacs user.
>
> I learned Lisp because of Emacs and it's a cool language, but almost no one
> cares to learn Lisp.
>
> I can't live without Emacs, but in some areas Emacs tend to be lacking.
>
> As I just noticed that Emacs 24 is now stable it still amazes me that there's
> still a lot of development going on, considering my sense of isolation as an
> Emacs user, and the impression that Emacs users is a dying breed.
>
> Since this is a help group, am I required to end with a question mark? :-)
>
> Regards,

Hi,

at my job there are about 4 Emacs (and roughly 6 vi) users (out of 12).
Also, while being at the university, I was recommended Emacs in several
courses. Considering the sheer amount of text editors that actually
exist, I'd say, that the frequency at which you encounter emacs, is a
good sign for its popularity and large user-base.

Regards,
Laurent