Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: notbob
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: 18 Jun 2012 12:25:56 GMT

On 2012-06-18, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:

> Emacs often spreads quietly.
>
> Lots of people I've worked with have seen the light.

Then there are users like myself.  Real lazy ppl who find it
unacceptably annoying to have to add an extra keystroke each time they
move from one mode to the other, like all things vi.  I probably
learned vi first, but kept wondering WTF! is it with this constantly
changing modes nightmare.  This is insane!  So, because of slrn, I
discovered jed.  Later I discovered bash and many other linux
utilities use emacs keystrokes.  Finally, I took the plunge and got
THE BOOK.  The rest is history, as they say.  I don't particularly
like a lot of things about emacs, I suck as a progrmmer so don't do
LISP, I don't use gnus, and am not a developer, and jed has better txt
highlighting already enabled.  Even as I struggle to learn C, I still
don't understand how to compile a simple C program from inside emacs.
Regardless, it's the coolest bestest file mgr and txt editor I know
and I will always use it on the command line and would rather use M$
Windows notepad than vi.

</rant>

nb

--