Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:03:25 +0200

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

> On 2012-06-18, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Emacs often spreads quietly.
>>
>> Lots of people I've worked with have seen the light.
>
> Then there are users like myself.  Real lazy ppl who find it
> unacceptably annoying to have to add an extra keystroke each time they
> move from one mode to the other, like all things vi.  I probably
> learned vi first, but kept wondering WTF! is it with this constantly
> changing modes nightmare.  This is insane!  So, because of slrn, I
> discovered jed.  Later I discovered bash and many other linux
> utilities use emacs keystrokes.  Finally, I took the plunge and got
> THE BOOK.  The rest is history, as they say.  I don't particularly
> like a lot of things about emacs, I suck as a progrmmer so don't do
> LISP, I don't use gnus, and am not a developer, and jed has better txt
> highlighting already enabled.  Even as I struggle to learn C, I still
> don't understand how to compile a simple C program from inside emacs.

Assuming you have the current buffer pgm.c,
you just type M-x compile RET pgm RET

M-x compile RET will present you a minibuffer with "make -k " in it.
Typing pgm RET will make it run: make -k pgm
Since you probably don't have a Makefile in the same directory as pgm.c,
the default rules will be used, so pgm will be built from pgm.c using
the C compiler.

If your program doesn't take any stdin input, you can even run it at the
same time: M-x compile RET pgm && ./pgm RET