Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Susan Cragin
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:15:43 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I'm a writer with no programming interests, and I love emacs for gathering info, outlining, drafts. But I would like the following:

(1) Printing. Easier to print in the standard author draft form, which is letter-sized paper, 1" margins, double-spaced, TNRoman 12, new page started at each * (highest level outline).

(2) PDF. Files could be "read" and text-searched from within emacs.

(3) at-spi2 integration
I have been involved in a project to port Dragon NaturallySpeaking to Linux using wine. This has been a great help to me in entering text.
Unfortunately, the port that enables dictation straight into Linux apps requires good at-spi2 integration and dbus support, which emacs does not have.
Right now the NatSpeak project is in beta testing, and I can dictate (with bugs) into a number of applications, including Libra Office, G Edit, and Firefox. My e-mail client is web-based and I am dictating right now. As I said, buggy but fun.

This is a sticky subject, I know, since NatSpeak is both closed-source and a Windows program, but shouldn't at-spi2 compatibility be on emacs's radar somewhere?

Thanks, by the way, to Michael Albinus and Mario Lang for the work they did. I would have gotten back to both of them sooner, except that the prototype I was working with suddenly lost major functionality, and I couldn't figure out if Michael's coding worked or not. I am finally able to say that it doesn't work to enter text, but suddenly I can spell into emacs -- one letter at a time.

Susan Cragin