Re: Issues with emacs

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:26:28 +0200

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 18, 7:32 am, S Boucher <st...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I've been using emacs since as far back as 18.59.  Still use it daily.
>>
>> However, I often wonder where Emacs is heading.
>
> Ive been collecting some posts on this list that seemingly are
> questions about emacs but in fact point to deficiencies. Does one,
> two, hundred deficiencies make for a 'dying breed?'  Perhaps not and
> the question of S Boucher needs to be dealt with more conceptually/
> philosophically.  Unfortunately such a discussion invariably
> degenerates into flaming/trolling.  So heres my bottom up list

Some are contradictory.  Eg. reproaching lisp-2 and wanting more CL
support (of course, they're not made by the same people).

lisp-2 is a good thing IMO.
http://www.nhplace.com/kent/Papers/Technical-Issues.html

What's bad, is that the promise of having different embedded languages
in emacs failed so far.  IMO because of lack of lexical binding/closures
(but this is resolved in emacs-24), and to a lesser degree, lack of a
usable namespace system (in this case, the obarray mechanism is there to
be used by language implementors).  But with emacs-24, it could be
possible to implement a scheme, a javascript and finish the emacs-cl
implementation, java, etc, so that people could use and program emacs in
their favorite programming language.