Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:05:47 +0300

Philipp Haselwarter [2012-06-23 13:33:30 +0200] wrote:

> I very much disagree, one of the things emacs is most frequently
> accused of is bloat. Overhauling some of the defaults might be worth
> discussing, but adding even more code to the core distribution seems
> to be the wrong approach. IMO Emacs should focus on providing the core
> - an editing engine and a lisp interpreter - and let the user decide
> which plugins he wants to run.

The Emacs distribution (.tar.gz) contains all bells and whistles but not
everything is loaded into memory. What is loaded by default is pretty
much only the Emacs Lisp interpreter and the editing core and autoload
definitions for other features.

And Emacs is a very light-weight program by today's standards. I think
it was bloated in the 80's.

>From the point of view of code maintenance it might be good idea to have
more code on a (semi-)official package repository. If I maintained an
official Emacs package I'd prefer using my own version control system
etc. and just upload releases to official package archive.