Re: Issues with emacs

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:41:51 +0200

On 24/06/12 16:18, Drew Adams wrote:
>> 1) improve the menu to live up to "moderm" menu standards, so that
>> efffectually everything
>> could be done by using the mouse (*but most definitely keep the keyboard
>> shortcuts!!!!!!!). I
>> know that this is not possible for all additional packages, but at least the
>> emacs core
>> should be usable completely via mouse.
>>
>> 2) improve the GUI look, to conform more with a "modern" look
>>
>> 3) change the menu, so that there the new users learns to do the stuff by
>> using the mose
>> (and introduce the keyboard e.g. in brackets).
>>
>> - From my experience: when (or in many cases "if") the new user manages to
>> accept and use way
>> of using emacs (now via initially *very strange* keyboard shortcuts) to
>> reach the brilliant
>> features and tha land off possibilities hidden behind, they will stay. If
>> the initial
>> crossing of the border can be done easier, more users will discover the
>> wonders of emacs.
>
> 1. FWIW, I agree with this.  Menus are a great way to discover.  They need to
> be well
> organized, of course.  But given good organization, that organization can be
> a tremendous
> learning aid (and a memory aid).
>
> In my libraries I generally spend time trying to (a) put more stuff on menus,
> (b) get the menu
> item terminology right, and (c) organize the menus well.  Not that I always
> succeed (yes, it
> takes time, thought, and practice using the resulting menus), but I try.
>
> This is also a motivation behind La Carte (easier keyboard access to menus)
> and Icicles
> (combined with La Carte, access menu items at any level using substrings,
> regexps etc.).
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LaCarte
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles#toc7
>
> 2. Likewise, the mouse.  A direct-access pointing device is a tremendous
> asset to human-machine
> interaction.
>
> (That notion is anathema to some Emacs folk, though you would think that
> brief reflection on
> tape-vs-disk access would be enough to turn on the light.  Yes, of course
> Emacs has
> direct-access key sequences, but a mouse gives you direct access _anywhere_:
> look, point to a
> destination, bam!)
>
> 3. There is a place for _both_ (a) in-depth documentation and (b) well
> designed keyboard
> shortcuts, on the one hand, and (c) well designed menus and (d) mouse
> interaction, on the other
> hand.
>
> 4. Emacs has moved from only doc and only keyboard (and only console - no
> frames) toward
> incorporation of more "modern" GUI stuff.
>
> But most of that movement happened long, long ago, when those things first
> [...]

Ups - I just hope that this refers to me: I definitely did not "whine that
emacs is not modern
enough", nor did I want to complain tat emacs is not "modern" enough for
"nowadays" computer users.

I just gave my opinion why I think, from personal experience, many people do
prefer other editors.
I do not complain about this - I though this thread was about raising points
why not more people
are using emacs? If this was wrong, my apologies.

Although I do not have the time nor the knowledge to improve emacs in this
regard, I think this is
an important point which should be kept in mind.

And I am looking forward to my next project which will again involve again lots
of "old fashioned
emacs use".

Cheers,

Rainer