Emacs for writers (was Emacs users a dying breed?)

From: rusi
Subject: Emacs for writers (was Emacs users a dying breed?)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 25, 4:19 am, James Freer <jesseja...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snipped>
> What do i use at present while i'm still trying to get used to vim or
> emacs - pico for email and bluefish. Both vim and emacs development
> have gone down strange routes and yet both are popular.
>
> james

Ok James lets see if we can get you off the ground with emacs.
To start with are you on linux? If not whats your OS?
Next whats your emacs version? To find out do M-x emacs-version RETURN
where M-x is emacs-funnyspeak for Alt-x or Escape-x.
Next whats in your init file? Beginners are usually recommended to
use .emacs (note the .)
I recommend .emacs.d/init.el
If all this is trivial to you please excuse; no intent to be
patronizing here; just dont know at what level you are stuck