Re: Issues with emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Issues with emacs
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:57:53 +0000 (UTC)

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have my doubts that "kids" will make a better Emacs.  IMO good
> programs are usually built by experienced and skilled developers.

Some of today's kids will be experienced and skilled developers
someday, but they will only use their skill to improve emacs if
they get to like it first as "kids".
> To make a
> better Emacs, we would need highly skilled (and probably well paid)
> people.

I think there are quite a few skilled developers who'd like to
spend their time on hacking Emacs instead of on some boring
business software, only they can't afford it to do it for free.

That's where crowdfunding could help and I don't think the payment
necessarily has to match what they earn working on a business software,
because if people have a motivation to work on something more
interesting then they often willing to accept lower payment
if they gain more professional satisfication from working
on the more interesting project.