Re: Emacs users a dying breed?

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Emacs users a dying breed?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:00:18 -0400

On 6/23/2012 7:33 AM, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
I very much disagree, one of the things emacs is most frequently accused
of is bloat. ...
I'd even go as far as claiming that currently there's already too much
stuff included by default.

Arguments against:

1 - My current emacs lisp directory is about 80 mbytes. Even if it was stripped to zero, it would hardly affect my disk space.

2 - For professionals, the cost to search the web for one package is far more than the cost of a 100 gbyte disk.

3 - The risk of installing malware says I want to download software as infrequently as possible.

IMHO, include every package that's part of the distro. If I don't use it, it doesn't matter.