Re: non-ASCII characters in auto-save files

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: non-ASCII characters in auto-save files
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 00:40:36 +0200

> Am 25.06.2012 um 14:46 schrieb grivet:
>
> > I have two questions:
> >    - Can Emacs be persuaded to to encode auto-save files in a more
> > useful manner ?
> >    - Is there a systematic way to convert #myfile# to iso-latin-9
> > (or iso-latin-1) code, other than painstakingly
> > searching and replacing offending chars ?
>
> I have one answer: use file-local variables!
>
> For example in the header:
>
>       %%% -*- mode: LaTeX; coding: iso-latin-9-unix; -*-
>
> Or in the (AUCTeX) footer:
>
>       %%% Local Variables:
>       %%% mode: LaTeX
>       %%% fill-column: 99999
>       %%% coding: iso-latin-9
>       %%% End:
>       %

I'm no expert here, but - that doesn't work for autosave files (try
it!).  Looking at the code, it seems that autosaving handles coding
specially.  File local variables are respected when finding the autosave
file, but it is saved with a different encoding then the base file.

But grivet: Why do you have to open those autosave files?  I think the
standard way to use them is via `recover-file' or `recover-session'.
You shouldn't use them directly.

Michael.