display-time-world & EDT/DST

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: display-time-world & EDT/DST
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:09:05 +0530

,---- M-x display-time-world
`----

,---- http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179

| Current Time|Wednesday, 27 June 2012, 05:27:42 EDT <=== Time now

| | Standard time zone:       | UTC/GMT -5 hours            |
| | Daylight saving time:     | +1 hour                     |
| | Current time zone offset: | UTC/GMT -4 hours            |
| | Time zone abbreviation:   | EDT - Eastern Daylight Time |
`----

As you can see, the time reported by Emacs is off by 1 hr.  Is there a
way to fix it?

Also I could take some help with interpreting the value of this
variable.  Should display-time-world be documented in Emacs reference
manual?

,----[ C-h v display-time-world-list RET ]
| display-time-world-list is a variable defined in `time.el'.
| Its value is (("PST8PDT" "Seattle")
|  ("EST5EDT" "New York")
|  ("GMT0BST" "London")
|  ("CET-1CDT" "Paris")
|  ("IST-5:30" "Bangalore")  <=== Why this ''minus''. Isn't IST = GMT+5:30?
|  ("JST-9" "Tokyo"))
|

| Documentation:
| Alist of time zones and places for `display-time-world' to display.
| Each element has the form (TIMEZONE LABEL).
| TIMEZONE should be in a format supported by your system.  See the
| documentation of `zoneinfo-style-world-list' and
| `legacy-style-world-list' for two widely used formats.  LABEL is
| a string to display as the label of that TIMEZONE's time.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.
|
| [back]
`----

ps: I am really interested in local Ottawa time (which is apparently
same as NY's throughout the year)