Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:19:14 +0400

James Freer <jessejazza@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to try each of them but does anyone use Rmail? if not why
> not? As i mentioned in the first post it does seem to have had a
> revamp recently as it was claimed it copes with conversation threads.

I recently tried Rmail and it turned out that it is what I want. I was a
Gnus user for some time (and still use it for reading news) - it is
actually not hard at all to setup it for imap (just remember to use
secondary select methods for everything!). But Rmail is much more
convenient for me.

I use fetchmail to get mail from my IMAP server (I like keeping
everything local because of access speed and because this way I have a
single place of storage even with multiple remote accounts). My
~/.fetchmailrc looks like this:

poll <server> protocol imap authenticate password username <username>
password <password> ssl folder INBOX mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

Then simply M-x rmail.

I have also patched Rmail a little to render HTML mail with emacs-w3m (I
didn't find a standard way to render HTML in Rmail).

--
Filipp Gunbin