Re: why read only buffer?

From: notbob
Subject: Re: why read only buffer?
Date: 6 Jul 2012 21:50:53 GMT

On 2012-07-06, PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net> wrote:

> That's deliberately there to stop you from accidentally modifying a
> backup file when you meant to be working with the regular file.  If
> you searched through the source you'd find this in files.el:

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  ;)

What I seem to recall is, backup files were progressively renamed for
more than on "back-up", as in foo~1, foo~2, or something similar.
Perhaps I'm thinking of jed.  I'm old.  I ferget.  ;)

> -----
>   ;; Make people do a little extra work (C-x C-q)
>   ;; before altering a backup file.
>   (when (backup-file-name-p buffer-file-name)
>     (setq buffer-read-only t))
> -----

So, how does none set it to make it overwriteable, by default.  Jes
delete the above code?

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!