Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:57:07 +0200

On Sat, Jul 07 2012 08:19 (@1341641958), Jambunathan K wrote:

> C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear Emacs friends,
>>
>> I need some tips for quick jumping around. As in, say I'm editing a
>> line and need to go up a couple of paragraphs to edit something and
>> then resume at my original position.
>> The way I used to accomplish this in Vi was using mm to mark the
>> current position into m register and then go somewhere and come back
>> by pressing 'm
>>
>> Now, I know that in emacs I can do it using C-x-r-<SPC> to mark a
>> position into a register and then jump back to it usng C-x-r-j ... is
>> there a better way? Rather, what's a better way?
>
> C-h K C-x C-SPC
>
> It will land you in an Info node.  See that node and the node previous
> to it.
>
>> Regards,
>> Kashyap

It'd be neat if there were different ways to navigate through the ring;
when I discovered Toby Cubitt's excellent undo-tree-mode it somewhat
revolutionized my editing habits. I imagine that having a tree-like
representation of the marks that allows to easily navigate back and
forth would be very pleasant.

--
Philipp Haselwarter