Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly

From: Dan Maftei
Subject: Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:23:12 +0100

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 17.07.2012 um 00:15 schrieb Dan Maftei:

> Notice: the combining diacritic is rendered extremely small, and
> off-center. It doesn't even look like a tilde in the final glyph.

This "combined diacritic" is actually LATIN SMALL LETTER N. That's what the *Help* buffer says. You can also see this when reading the "preferred charset" value.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to interpret that. It is indeed ASCII 0x6e but what to make of 'Composed with the following character(s) "~"'?

Since combining characters work in non-windowed mode, I tried to look at describe-char output running emacs -nw -Q but describe-char on combining characters causes a fatal error. >.< I sent a bug report.

How is it when you launch GNU Emacs without customisation? This can be achieved from the command line as "<path to>/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q &".

I always test such things without loading .emacs before posting to mailing lists. :-)  So, same results.

With Cmd-T the Mac OS X font chooser comes up and you can select a font and also its size. C-h H produces the *HELLO* buffer with a few interesting scripts…

As I mentioned, other fonts produce the same results, including the ones you mentioned (e.g. Lucida Grande). Further, the default font, Monaco, has support for combining characters (I tested in TextEdit).

Not sure what I'm to do with the *HELLO* buffer. Everything is rendered properly. I imagine most diacritics were displayed on pre-composed characters (I only checked a few).

Cheers,
Dan