Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Cocoa emacs renders Unicode combining diacritics improperly
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:51:44 +0200

Am 17.07.2012 um 01:23 schrieb Dan Maftei:

> Yeah, I wasn't sure how to interpret that. It is indeed ASCII 0x6e but what
> to make of 'Composed with the following character(s) "~"'?

It obviously reports that you tried to compose ñ, which failed. So you have the
combining accent character and the n character side by side. How did you try to
compose?

> Since combining characters work in non-windowed mode, I tried to look at
> describe-char output running emacs -nw -Q but describe-char on combining
> characters causes a fatal error. >.< I sent a bug report.

In Terminal you are using Terminal's ability to display Unicode characters. GNU
Emacs is just a guest there. It's different when it uses its own windows.

The NS variant uses a lot of Emacs software to, for example, render text. There
is a set of patches and some extra source files available at
/ftp:anonymous@ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp:/ (in TRAMP notation). This set,
emacs-24.1-mac-3.0.tar.gz, plus the released code for GNU Emacs 24.1  build,
when configured --with-mac, together the "AppKit Emacs" which is much more
integrated into Mac OS X, uses much more of Mac OS X than GNU Emacs. Try it!
(You need to compile and install it yourself.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our
air and water that are doing it.