Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar

From: Ulrich Scholz
Subject: Re: feature request: horizontal scroll bar
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:00:29 -0700 (PDT)

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012 18:02:08 UTC+2 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> ??? What's wrong with automatic horizontal scrolling that Emacs
> provides by default (and which kicks in as soon as you truncate-lines
> to a non-nil value)?

Three things

1) A horizontal scroll bar gives a visual feedback of where you are. I have
very wide files with empty spots.  You can get lost.

2) Scroll bars allow to move the visual ara without moving the cursor.  (Ok,
that migth be achievable with keys, too.)

3) Scroll bars are good for going far in large files. Well, 90% of navigation
consists of short distances in small files.  But for the remaining 10%, scroll
bars are much better.