RE: hippie-expand/dabbrev-expand: how to select a previous expansion?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: hippie-expand/dabbrev-expand: how to select a previous expansion?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:05:48 -0700

> when running dabbrev-expand or hippie-expand, sometimes I
> accidentally skip the desired completion. Is there a way to
> looking at the Emacs Manual and at the source code of
> hippie-exp.el, and dabbrev.el, I would say there isn't.

AFAIK, there is not.  Cycling by repeating `M-/' is pretty primitive, and yes,
AFAIK it only goes forward.

You might try `dabbrev-completion' (`C-M-/') instead of `dabbrev-expand'
(`M-/').

Or if you use Icicles, then in Icicle mode `C-M-/' gives you both completion and
cycling.  You can cyle in either order, and you can re-sort or filter the
candidates in various ways.  (And you can of course pick any completion
candidate directly, without cycling.)