Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 18:45:57 +0530

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/7/12 8:44 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2012-07-07, Francesco Mazzoli<f@mazzo.li>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I use `C-<SPC>  C-<SPC>' to set the mark, and `C-u C-<SPC>' to jump back. No
>>> registers involved.
>>
>> I occasionally do something stupid like hit the wrong keystroke, usually
>> C-e, which puts me at the end of the line.  I was somewhat sure there
>> was an equally simple keystroked to return me to where I once was
>> where.  NO!?  If not, I'm bummed.  I thought emacs was "powerful".
>> Seems a simple function.  And by GOD, can't let vi outdo on this!
>
> buffer-undo-list can record the position before the inadvertant command
> so that C-x u would move you back, but the movement commands don't take
> advantage of that feature.
>
> C-h v buffer-undo-list:
> An entry of the form POSITION indicates that point was at the buffer
> location given by the integer.  Undoing an entry of this form places
> point at POSITION.

When one is browsing a source repository - the context for the OP, IIRC
- one is most likely visiting unmodified files.  So a question of undo
does arise.

I think if one wants to visit the point where changes were introduced,
one can use

  C-h f highlight-changes-mode

and use the navigation command provided by that mode.

Personally - I mostly work with version controlled files - I use a
combination of

  M-x diff-buffer-with-file

and use hunks in diff buffer to provide me a map of places that are of
interest to me.