Re: An ls that does not understand --dired

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: An ls that does not understand --dired
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:32:33 +0200

Am 25.07.2012 um 00:44 schrieb Stefan Vollmar:

> However,
>
> (setq dired-use-ls-dired nil)
>
> does (error message gone). There is a caveat about "unusual" file names (e.g.
> those with leading spaces) in the documentation of dired-use-ls-dired, so
> maybe this solution is not for everybody.

Using the above setting is really bad: no directory listing possible when some
directory in the absolute path contains a SPACE…

When you can install gls from the GNU Coreutils the settings

        (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program t)
        (setq insert-directory-program "gls")

allow GNU Emacs 24.1 to use gls.

A second problem exists with possible use of the variable
dired-listing-switches. With GNU gls I use "-ahlN" which has to be with the
system's ls "-ahlw".

--
Greetings

  Pete

The best way to accelerate a PC is 9.8 m/s²