Re: font problem from emacs 23.3 to 23.4???

From: rusi
Subject: Re: font problem from emacs 23.3 to 23.4???
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:35:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 12:51 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> I think you understand the code and can adapt it to your problem. Otherwise
> browse through the
> Emacs Wiki (or the built-in documentation).

Thanks -- Ill try this.
However my direction is the other way round.  I want to make defaults
that 'just work' on more systems without tweaking.  Because otherwise
the code is broken for most people.

In particular, I need a way of saying:
"Get any unicode font (and not a very localised font like sahadeva)"

After that people may tweak the font to their taste.
So I need to understand (probably?) the layer between emacs and the
system (xft?) where automatic font selection happens.

Or... (to explain the mechanics bit):
I have one personal setup (in /home)
There are two OSes which I can boot (Let me call them old and new)
Old works and uses emacs 23.3
New does not and uses 23.4

However much else is 'upgraded.'  And broken -- xft? xfce? xserver?
some specific fonts?
Dont know how to search...

So I thought: Let me mount old OS in new and try running the mounted
emacs23.3.
This way I can check whether the emacs 23.3 -> 23.4 is broken or
something else.

However I get:

$ /mnt/p/usr/bin/emacs23
Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/usr/lib/emacs/23.3/i486-linux-gnu/)
does not exist.
Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/23.3/etc/) does
not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp' does
not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp' does not
exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.3/leim' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp' does not exist.
Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/23.3/leim' does not exist.
Error: charsets directory (/usr/share/emacs/23.3/etc/charsets) does
not exist.
Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
Please check your installation!
Warning: Could not find simple.el nor simple.elc
Cannot open load file: warnings

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Cabbage, n. A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a
> man's head.

Yours cabbagely!