two function requests

From: drain
Subject: two function requests
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 08:45:39 -0700 (PDT)

(1) A command that deletes every instance of a certain char, e.g., "_" is
entered and every "_" is deleted from the text. Would be very useful when
formatting pdfs into orgs.

(2) (forward-clause), (backward-clause) commands, which would be much more
useful than (forward-sentence), (backward-sentence), particularly when
formatting / reading pre-20th century literature, with its page-length
Herman Melville sentences.

I suppose a function that sets point to next comma is what I am looking for,
even if I'd be stuck incrementally moving inside of lists from time to time.

I'm asking whether these functions or similar functions already exist. If I
were to write them myself, I also wouldn't mind being pointed in the right
direction for models. I'm sure this would require just slight modification
of the existing code base.