Re: vc-git-state very slow, waiting for `git diff-index`, in large repos

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-git-state very slow, waiting for `git diff-index`, in large repositories
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 20:19:10 +0400

Hi Matt,

Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com> writes:
> Emacs opens files from one of my largest Git repositories very slowly. It looks > like it spends most of that time waiting for `git diff-index -z HEAD -- <file>`.
>
> I upgraded this morning to
> http://emacsformacosx.com/emacs-builds/Emacs-2012-07-28-109240-universal-10.6.8.dmg
> hoping that it would include the fix for
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11757 and that that would make
> Emacs fast enough. But it was still very slow.

11757 was totally unrelated.

> I see there's another open ticket citing the call to `git diff-index` from
> `vc-git-state`: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8288
>
> Applying the workaround from comment 14 in that ticket works for me, but it > seems like it would be better to address the problem closer to the root in the
> Emacs source and/or in Git.
>
> What would you recommend?

I'd recommend timing 'git diff-index -z HEAD -- <file>' vs 'git status
--short <file>' vs 'git status -z --porcelain <file>' in the console on
your real repository and posting the numbers to the bug 8288.
And maybe contributing an example patch that works for you. The function
responsible for this is `vc-git-state'.

--Dmitry