Re: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 23:14:32 +0300

> From: jane.harvill@gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> I have the same problem.  I've made changes to my .emacs file as suggested on
> a number of discussion panels, and it does not help.  I can not interrupt it
> using C-g.  I'm convinced there's a bug with gnu emacs on Windows.  Hopefully
> the people who distribute it (freely) will figure it out.  In the meantime,
> I'm stuck with some other awful editor.

FWIW, I'm using Emacs on Windows 7 for weeks on end, and didn't see
even a single incident of such freezes.

There might be a bug, of course, but it is triggered by something that
doesn't exist on my system, at least.  If you want that bug identified
and fixed, I'd encourage you to try to understand what operation
hangs, and then we could try establishing why this happens.

If you cannot interrupt Emacs with C-g, attach a debugger to it.  That
will interrupt any operation, and you can then examine the call stack
and see what was Emacs doing when this happened.