Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 23:12:25 +0100

On 31 July 2012 06:45, Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:
> James Freer <jessejazza@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd be grateful if someone could put me right on setting up Rmail, and
>> perhaps if someone has experimented with all three give their
>> feedback. Basically i want to try each and decide which i'd prefer.
>> Starting to use emacs as my editor it seems appropriate to use a mail
>> client within it.
>
> I use fetchmail, procmail, MH-E.
>
> MH-E documentation is in info or in
> http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/manual/html/.
>
> --
> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>

I appreciate your replies but i haven't got far trying them out as i'm
having the central heating done and a number of domestic stuff.

I would be grateful if someone could clarify a few points
- vm seems to happlily install on emacs 23 [i'm just experimenting at
present before i upgrade to xubuntu 12.04 which has emacs 24].
- Gnus wants to uninstall emacs 23 and install emacs 22 as does mh-e.
- wl ok on emacs 23

Is vm revised more than Gnus and mh-e? My compiling efforts weren't so
hot last time i tried so i'd prefer to stay with what's in the repos.
If these apps are more feature rich why does Rmail remain as the
default mail reader?

thanks
james