RE: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Emacs freezes every now and then on my windows 7 pc
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:57:03 +0000

> From: Óscar Fuentes
>
> "Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > To the point about some unnamed developer destabilizing the source,
> > our industry overall has a very poor record of educating and training
> > new people.  It's generally "baptism by fire" or "jumping in the deep
> > end."
>
> That's not the case currently going on Emacs. There are a few developers
> who are working on very delicate, complex (and I'll say controversial)
> areas. Others are improving platform-dependent code, which often results
> on breakage on some other platform because nobody has the resources for
> testing everywhere before committing the changes. All of them are
> knowledgeable and responsible people.
>
> It's business as usual, really.

Thanks for clarifying.  I guess this is where working in industry has its
advantages.  My primary job is maintaining platform-specific code across
Windows and several Unices, a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit environments (LP64
and LLP64, just to add more fun).  I have all supported platforms available at
my fingertips, so can test each change simultaneously on all platforms -- and
do.

It's rather unfortunate that the platforms are not readily available to the
Emacs developers, because frequently it's quite interesting to see which
compiler/linker on which platform warns about which subtle problem that's
ignored on other platforms ... until run-time.

Cheers,
Mark