Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 07:19:53 +0200

On 08/03/2012 10:35 PM, James Freer wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 21:22, James Freer <jessejazza@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 August 2012 17:20, Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Aug 03 2012,Jason Earl wrote:
>>>

>>> [snipped 38 lines]

>>> I'd have to say, you have to be daft to use Gnus, which is a sort of
>>> compliment....in a different way.
>>>
>>> I don't know why I use Gnus but I do know that if I use some other
>>> mail client, I feel unhappy with the workflow that the new mail client
>>> imposes on me.  So I stick to Gnus.  :-)
>>>
>>> As others will attest, Gnus works; its terminology is not exactly
>>> mainstream (heck, if you're using Emacs, you're already a hippie) and
>>> the documentation is huge for a mail client.  It sure ain't Apple(TM)
>>> for user friendliness at first.  But you keep hammering at it, one day
>>> you will get it;  Exhausted by the sunk cost, you will stick to Gnus
>>> for the rest of your email life.
>>>
>>> Trust me, that happens.  Look at this crowd on this list! :-)
>>>
>>> Or me.
>>>
>>>  sivaram
>>
>> I don't doubt you for a moment. I think the Gnus documentation is
>> excellent... but really too advanced for my needs. I just want
>> something as easy as Thunderbird or similar to set up - just enter in
>> the pop/imap and smtp bits... then use.
>>
>> james
>
> What i should have added is that i want the email client to be faster
> than the GUI ones and as i'm learning emacs it seems logical to use
> what's on offer [but without too much setting up!]
>
> james

Hi,

this has probably been mentioned before, but did you have a look at the
wanderlust e-mail client? I've tried both gnus and wanderlust and found
wanderlust a bit more intuitive for someone who has been using
thunderbird et al. in the past. Further, it took me much less time to
configure wanderlust to my (rather simple) needs than gnus.

Regards,
Laurent