Re: Convert an existing keyboard macro to elisp code?

From: Raffaele Ricciardi
Subject: Re: Convert an existing keyboard macro to elisp code?
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 10:48:47 +0100

On 08/03/2012 05:33 PM, PJ Weisberg wrote:> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the answer was more a less a 'NO'(or 'YOU HAVE TO WRITE
>> IT YOURSELF').
>>
>> Since Emacs is a pretty dynamic project, I thought I give it another try
>> on the mailing list - maybe this feature request has been implemented in
>> the meantime by somebody?
>
> If it were just a matter of reading the key sequence and mapping it to
> functions it wouldn't be too bad, but the more I think about this, the
> more it seems like a rat hole.  How would you translate
>
> (fset 'my-macro
> [?\M-x ?m ?a ?g tab ?i ?t tab ?s ?t tab ?t tab return ?m ?a tab return])
>
> into
>
> (defun my-macro ()
>    (interactive)
>    (magit-status "c:/Users/PJ/Documents/magit/"))
>
> ?
>
> You would need to know what auto-completion happened when the user
> pressed tab, and then you would need to know how the function
> translated its user input into interactive arguments.  I don't think
> there's a way to do it without running the macro and (somehow)
> watching what happens.  And that could have unpleasant side effects.
>
> And this particular example wouldn't even be portable, since when I
> type "M-x magit-status RET magit RET", Magit actually does some magic
> to translate that into a full path.  So on my other machine, the
> proper definition of that macro would be
>
> (defun my-macro ()
>    (interactive)
>    (magit-status "/home/pj/source-code/magit"))
>

> And that doesn't even take into account different keymaps.
>
> -PJ
>
> Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
> magic is insufficiently advanced.

Be stumped:

C-h f command-history
C-h v command-history

Emacs already keeps track of commands that read input from terminal, I don't see the reason it couldn't keep track of all commands, as the third-party library mwe-log-commands.el does it, while discarding the arguments. Maybe Emacs does
it already in some other variable I don't know.

Regarding commands requiring further input and possibly performing conversions
on their own, Emacs could feed them the same input you did.  Of course, the
resulting translation will be context-sensitive just like the original macro
was.  Adjustments to make the code portable would be up to the user.