Silently loading site files in -batch mode

From: Jack Kelly
Subject: Silently loading site files in -batch mode
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:02:38 +1000

(Please CC me in replies - I'm not subscribed.)

Hello again list,

I'm still trying to make batchmode emacs silently load site files.
Despite the warnings about advising builtins, advising `load' so that
it is always called with `NOMESSAGE' works:

(defadvice load (before quiet-loading activate)
   (ad-set-arg 2 t))

However, making sure that this advice is added before anything is
loaded is not easy. I have tried adding it to `before-init-hook' and
dumping a new emacs, but calling dump-emacs causes a segfault.
Apparently dumping a dumped emacs ceased to work years ago[1].

My other approach was to invoke emacs with -Q, advise `load' and then
load site-run-file. That doesn't work either, as with -Q,
site-run-file is undefined:

$ emacs -Q -batch -eval "(print site-run-file)"

nil
$

(As I'm writing this code for automake, I could check site-run-file
during configure and save it, but that's not the main problem.)

Unfortunately, debian has seen fit to patch lisp/startup.el[2], which
means that to correctly load everything now means checking if it's a
debianised emacs (and other distros could cause similar mischief).

Are there any other command-line flags or environment variables that I
could use to silence the initial loading messages? If not, are there
any in the development pipeline?

Thanks,

-- Jack

[1]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2004-02/msg00207.html