X11 clipboard questions

From: Perry Smith
Subject: X11 clipboard questions
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:52:52 -0500

I was on emacs 22 and was happy.  Moved up to emacs 24.  Unfortunately I also
changed from AIX 5.3 host to a AIX 6.1 host.  So, two things changed.

I see in News where things have changed as far as the clipboard and selection
but I can't figure out what to do.

To add insult to injury, I'm running emacs on an AIX 6.1 host with the display
pointed to a VNC server.  I then connect to it using Jolly VNC on a Mac.  So,
there are many hip-pity-hops.

Everything works as I would expect *except* from emacs to a Mac client.  This
use to work in emacs 22.

I have a copy of xclip so I can dump out the primary, secondary, and clipboard
text.

As documented, when I select text with the mouse, it appears in the Primary
selection.  On an xterm running on the same VNC server, I can paste that text.
I can not paste the text into a Mac terminal.

When I do M-w, the text is copied into the clipboard.  I can still paste it
using middle-mouse button into an xterm.  I still can not paste it into a Mac
terminal (or any Mac application).

When I select text using the mouse in the xterm, I can not yank it into a
buffer in emacs.  But I can paste it into a Mac terminal.

What really blows my mind, is I can select text in the Mac window and paste it
into the xterm window but it is *not* in any of the "Primary Selection",
"Secondary Selection", nor "Clipboard" according to xclip.

Any help or advice on this?

Thank you,
Perry