Re: Silently loading site files in -batch mode

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Silently loading site files in -batch mode
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 21:49:54 -0700

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Jack Kelly <jack@jackkelly.name> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM, PJ Weisberg <pj@irregularexpressions.net>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Jack Kelly <jack@jackkelly.name> wrote:
>>> Not running the call to debian-startup appears to mean that the
>>> following could happen:
>>>
>>> 1. package foo is being compiled.
>>> 2. foo.el contains (require 'bar), installed by apt.
>>> 3. emacs is invoked with -Q, so the directory containing bar.el or
>>> bar.elc is not in the load-path.
>>> 4. boom.
>>
>> $EMACS -Q --batch --eval "(push \"/path/to/bar\" load-path)" --eval
>> "(load \"MY-FILE\" nil t)"
>
> Indeed. But now we've come full circle: I can either get quiet
> can't easily get a change in before startup.el and get both.

Which of Debian's weird startup changes does your code actually depend
on?  Are you sure you aren't just trying to anticipate a problem that
doesn't actually exist?

-PJ

Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced.