Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Rémi Letot
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 13:43:51 +0200

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rémi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:55:46PM +0200, Rémi Letot wrote:
>> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > I saw all the Gnus love on this list and elsewhere, and decided to try
>> > it when I was in search of an email client that does what I want.
>> >
>> > These were my needs:
>> >
>> > 1. ability to read mail directories (synced with OfflineIMAP)
>> > 2. fast and responsive
>> > 3. easily searchable
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a bit late on this, but have you considered adding a local imap
>> server in the mix ?
>>
>> Lots of people seem to prefer using gnus nnimap + a local dovecot to
>> access maildir folders.
>>

> As a matter of fact, I did.  I need to have access to my emails offline,
> hence my choice of using OfflineIMAP.  OfflineIMAP docs say imap -> imap
> sync is still experimental.

you don't have to use imap -> imap sync, IIRC dovecot uses maildir as
storage, so you can sync the maildirs, and access you local maildir
through a local dovecot.

> Moreover I looked at setting up dovecot, the configuration seemed
> non-trivial.

Apparently the good thing is that you don't have to set it up at all:
just disable it (as a server process) and access it through a pipe in
gnus. Example:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/JamesFerguson

> Also since for search I was looking at notmuch, maildirs
> seemed to fit the bill best.  This also allows me to write simple
> scripts for things like notification.

Yes, with dovecot you keep all that, it just help to interface your
maildirs with gnus. Here is another (dated) example to integrate all
these:

http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

HTH,
--