beginning-of-defun / end-of-defun mark set message

From: drain
Subject: beginning-of-defun / end-of-defun mark set message
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 20:09:22 -0700 (PDT)

What's the point in leaving the second arg to push-mark nil (i.e., NOMSG)?

I ended up disabling it (push-mark () t) in mods of these two functions, but
before I embrace the change, I'd like to know the thinking behind leaving
the message in, in the case of these two functions. It makes sense
elsewhere, particularly when the user is calling push-mark directly
(C-space), and it's not embedded into a larger function body.