Symbols as words?

From: Raffaele Ricciardi
Subject: Symbols as words?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:16:42 +0100

Hello,

what's the option to make Emacs consider symbols as words?  In Viper mode, I
used to have:

(setq viper-syntax-preference 'extended)

"`extended' means Viper word constituents are symbols that are marked as being parts of words OR symbols in Emacs syntax tables. This is most appropriate for
major modes intended for editing programs."

I've looked around (Emacs Manual, Emacswiki, web forums) and I've found nothing
besides hacking the syntax tables entry by entry.

Thanks.