Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 15:47:18 -0400

Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> writes:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> What I'd like is to be able to detach the shell process running in the
>>> buffer, like the GNU screen program allows me to do, and resume it
>>> later.
>>
>> Just leave your Emacs running and then connect to it with emacsclient
>> when you want to see the result.
>>

>>         Stefan
>
> Not a choice if you started emacs via e.g., ssh.
>
> I really miss this feature.  Turn running emacs into a daemon.  I'll bet it's
> not that hard to implement this.

You can always use emacs' daemon option (which has been around for a few
years now), but as far as I can see, you need to start it that way up
front. Stefan Monnier's approach seems to allow you to detach from a
running emacs started without that option.

I use the daemon mode quite often; in fact, these days I rarely run
emacs without it.