Re: Bringing psgml back to life

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: Bringing psgml back to life
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:25:44 -0400

Stefan,

thank you very much for your help!

  > I'd be interested to hear them.
  > [reasons for wanting to continue to use psgml]

- I still use SGML files

- I have programmed other stuff on top of psgml (modes for specific
  SGML formats), which uses psgml functions or variables

- It's DTD-aware, and I don't know how to deal with schemas (of which
  nxml-mode seems to be aware). DTDs aren't (yet) powerless enough to
  make me want to switch to schemas.

- Even beyond DTD-awareness, I find it more convenient than nxml,
  e.g. C-c C-d. Or I have been too dumb to grasp the convenience of
  nxml-mode.

I do use nxml-mode now and then (to edit html files), and find it has
other nice features, and, it seems to me, a very stringent
philosophy. But it's certainly not built for SGML and DTDs.

But as to my principal question(s): Thanks very much for your help!  I
certainly could not have figured out for myself was that there is a
difference between ('foo and (' foo.

I have learnt something new I didn't know about elisp (this whole
backquoting business), and I think I have been able to fix the
package. I have weeded out all old-style backquoting: it turned out
there were fatal old-style backquotes -- as in "('foo" --, non-fatal
old-style backquotes -- as in "(' foo" -- and new-style
backquotes. Now, only the latter are left. Psgml now seems to be
working again. I'll try to submit the edited package to the
maintainers (I just hope somebody will answer).

Thanks very much again, and best regards,

Florian