Re: Fontifying-errors make Emacs (mostly) unusable

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fontifying-errors make Emacs (mostly) unusable
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:45:26 -0400

> Thats probably because the error appears in a (fontifying) hook
> function thats called before any real action.
> How can I get out of this 'trap' without restarting Emacs?

Depends on the specific problem you're encountering, but it may very
well be that kill&restart is the only way to fix it.

Due to Emacs's extensive reliance of "modifiable Elisp code", it's
generally impossible to prevent such situations.

There is code in various parts of Emacs to try and handle some
particular cases (e.g. an error in a pre-command-hook will cause Emacs
to remove that function from the hook), so if you can give details about
your particular case and it seems to be a common enough problem, maybe
we can find a way to make Emacs behave more gracefully.

        Stefan